Map Sizes and Dimensions
The exact dimensions are given for every map to make it as easy as possible to order the right size map!
Notes about provided dimensions:
- All dimensions are provided in inches. To calculate dimension in centimeters, simply multiply the given dimensions by 2.54.
- The dimensions consider only the "printable area" of the map. It is possible, though unlikely, that additional white space may be included around the print area.
- Dimensions given do not include any additional size from frames. Check the different framing options to see how much the different frame styles will increase the overall dimensions.
Visualizing the Size Options
Every map's order page includes an image "size guide" showing the different sizes relative to a group adult humans. Here are two example "size guide" images:
Landscape (Horizontal) Orientation:
Portrait (Vertical) Orientation:
For reference, the men in the Size Guides are between 5' 10" and 6' 1" and the women are between 5' 4" and 5' 7".
Details of the Map Sizes
From smallest to biggest, the size options are:Small - roughly 2 square feet
Medium - roughly 5 square feet
Large (standard) - roughly 10 square feet
Huge - ranging from 17 to 22 square feet
Mural - ranging from 30 to 40 square feet
The "small" option is not available for all maps, because the resulting text could be too small. However, maps that do offer the "small" option either use minimal text in the design, or use larger text to make the map readable.
Most Important Tip to Choosing a Map Size
Most important tip: Measure, Measure, Measure!
No amount of eyeballing and guesswork can replace a simple tape measure. We strongly recommend that before your order any map, you measure the location you intend to display the map, to make sure it will fit.
Helpful tip: outline the dimensions of the future map by lightly applying masking tape on your wall to represent the map size. This will let you back away and look from a distance to visualize how much area the map will take up on the wall.
Other Tips to Choosing Your Map Size
Consider the viewing distance and room size:
- Small or Medium maps are good for office cubicles, dorm rooms, or very small bedrooms.
- Large (standard) maps are good for standard rooms in your home or office (12-15 feet walls).
- Huge maps are good for large rooms in your home or office, classrooms, and conference rooms.
- Mural maps are perfect for large classrooms, presentation rooms, and large conference rooms.
Consider the use of the map:
- If the map is to be used primarily for research or geographic reference, and specific places will be frequently identified, you should order a Large size map or bigger, because Small and Medium maps will have smaller text sizes.
- If the map is to be used primarily as decoration or art or lightly used for general reference, then a Small or Medium sized map should be considered.
Lastly, if you struggle with reading fine print, you should order a Large (standard) sized map or larger.
Need Further Help with Map Sizes?
We're here to answer any question or give any advice, so feel free to contact us with your question.